Ultrasound increase in local blood flow to help reduce local swelling and chronic inflammation. Ultrasound waves are generated by a piezoelectric effect caused by the vibration of crystals within the head of the probe. The ultrasound waves that pass through the skin cause a vibration of the local soft tissues and a deep heating locally, although usually no sensation of heat will be felt by the patient.
LEDs use a very different effect; no local heat - no vibration of the local soft tissues. Instead, light is absorbed and causes a chemical change in specific molecules in our cells known as photo-acceptors. The effect is through Photobiomodulation to promote tissue regeneration, reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
Cytochrome c oxidase (Cox) - a terminal enzyme of the electron transport chain in the mitochondria is the primary photo-acceptor for the red-NIR range in mammalian cells because absorption spectra obtained for Cox in different oxidation states was found to be very similar to the action spectra for biological responses to light.
Basically, the absorption of photons by Cox leads to electronically excited states, and consequently to quickening of electron transfer reactions.
More electron transport necessarily causes increased production of ATP, increasing activity of the Na+/H+ and Ca2+/Na+ antiporters and diverse biological cascades involving nitric oxide, reactive oxygen species (ROS) and gene transcription and protein expression.
Why is red light therapy a better alternative?
There are many ways in which red light therapy is a better option than ultrasound. Let’s take a look:
- Ultrasound treatment can get pricey and is more expensive than red light therapy.
- Red Recover pads can be taken anywhere making it more convenient to get treatment right from the comfort of home or your office.
- Ultrasound may be hard to use in some body parts and has various contra-indications, whereas red light has none. Some of these body parts and contra-indications include:
- DVT or thrombophlebitis
- Hemorrhagic conditions
- Anterior neck
- Carotid sinus
- Reproductive organs
- Impaired cognition or communication
- Regenerating nerves
- Cardiac failure (local)
- Damaged or at-risk skin (local)
- Infection or tuberculosis (local)
- Malignancy (local)
- Recently radiated tissue (local)
- Electronic device (local)
- Impaired sensation (local)
Want to learn more about red light therapy and how you can improve your overall health and performance with this safe and easy to use medical technology?
Join our email list to get education and information about red light therapy and Red Recover products.